Finance assistant / accounting clerk
The Finance Assistant/Accounting Clerk provides the agency with accurate, timely bookkeeping and accounting support including payroll, accounts receivable and payable, and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts.
The Finance Assistant/Accounting Clerk operates according to AVCOG bylaws and policies, and applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations, and under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Finance Director.
- Record accounts receivable for various grants/projects
- Prepare invoices for accounts payable
- Accurately record monthly credit card expenses, ensuring proper backup for all charges
- Support all check runs, including gathering approved vouchers and preparing checks
- Process cash receipts and loan payments
- Process payroll and bi-weekly time sheets
- Performs monthly closing procedures
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts
- Maintain contacts management database records
- Purchasing, ensuring compliance with federal procurement standards
- Support staff with timesheets, accounts payable and receivable, program reports, as well as other requests
- Good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated careful attention to detail and superior accuracy in work
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully as a part of a team
- Associate’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university
Preferred education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, from an accredited college or university
- Three (3) or more years of accounting experience, to include fund accounting
- Or any equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Nonprofit, state, federal funding
Working conditions/physical requirements
- Moderate physical effort required; normally seated or standing with freedom of movement on a regular basis; operating office equipment, and handling books and supplies. Extensive periods may be spent operating a computer. Use of hands and wrists in frequent repetitive motions. Interaction with others via face-to-face communication, telephone, email, and written correspondence. Flexibility of motion; ability to lift up to 10 pounds is required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
AVCOG is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits to include medical insurance, health savings account with company contribution, health reimbursement account with deductible reimbursement; dental and vision insurance; life and voluntary disability insurance; medical and dependent care flexible spending; member of Maine Public Employees Retirement System; paid time off including vacation and sick time, 12 paid holidays; flexible schedule with 37 ½ hour workweek.
Applicants should submit their resume with minimum salary requirements to Lisa Bonney at LBonney@avcog.org. The position will remain open until filled.
Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments
Attention: Lisa Bonney
125 Manley Road
Auburn, ME 04210
Equal Opportunity Employer