- About Us
- Job Postings
- Director of Planning and Development
Director of Planning and Development
The Director of Planning and Development will direct the agency's municipal technical assistance program in the areas of growth management, comprehensive/land use, environmental and resiliency planning. The Director is the primary contact for planning assistance for the AVCOG region. The Director will develop the overall work program for the regional planning efforts including scheduling/assigning work and staff activities, oversee work requested by staff, determine priorities, develop methodologies to approach individual work assignments, reviews and coordinate staff work efforts, provide direction on problems as they arise.
Day to day activities include providing technical assistance in land use related matters to planning boards and code enforcement officers. Serves as the lead staff person in developing and implementing the comprehensive planning and land use planning programs and implements state contracts and local fee-for-service agreements for comprehensive plans and land use ordinances. In addition the Director will:
· Take a lead role in providing comprehensive and land use planning technical assistance to municipalities including land use ordinances and shoreland zoning; writing and presenting zoning, shoreland zoning, subdivisions and other land use ordinances.
· Conduct a detailed reviews of municipal land use ordinances; undertake substantial revisions to existing land use ordinances; formulates new land use ordinances; serves as a technical resource at public hearings to explain proposed ordinances; compiles general or specific information for short-term and long-term planning.
· Provide interpretation of state land use/development laws; provide educational materials; prepare information opinions on the interpretation of ordinances or codes; and advises board members or municipal officials on proper ordinance administration.
· Maintain knowledge of land use issues within the region and state and acts as a liaison between local, state and federal agencies. Organize and instruct planning workshops for municipalities, planning boards, CEO’s and others and participate in workshops and conferences as needed.
The Director of Regional Planning and Development shall manage, coordinate, and advance Strategic Initiatives that seek to integrate regional transportation, economic development, and planning programs for AVCOG. Land use, economic development, and transportation planning play a large role in achieving the vision of economic resilience and the broader community outcomes often desired. The Director will identify opportunities and lead collaborative efforts with various internal and external teams and develop a plan for execution, including identification of additional resources that may be required.
A Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) in urban or regional planning or related field, and five years experience in urban and regional planning, including three years in an administrative or supervisory capacity or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of urban and regional planning; considerable knowledge of the economic, sociological, and environmental aspects of urban and regional planning; Microsoft Office 365 and ArcGIS experience required; ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the public.
The starting salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits to include medical insurance, health savings account with company contribution, health reimbursement account with deductible reimbursement; dental and vision insurance; life and voluntary disability insurance; medical and dependent care flexible spending; member of Maine Public Employees Retirement System; paid time off including vacation and sick time, 13 paid holidays; hybrid remote work opportunity.
Applicants should submit their resume, minimum salary requirements and three professional references to email@example.com or to
Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments
125 Manley Road
Auburn, ME 04210
Equal Opportunity Employer